Many people make New Year Resolutions that involve weight loss, eating healthy, saving money, etc. But what about travel New Year resolutions for the RVer? Some of your RV travel resolutions could include getting out and exploring more of your hometown; travel more this year but spend less; and trying new adventures out on the road. In Texas there are plenty of options for all of these resolutions. Read on to hear about a few ideas.
1.Explore your hometown
- Houston is a huge big city with lots of history, exciting sights, and plenty of adventure. The best way to explore is by Segway. The city of Houston offers Segway tours daily for a small fee and it’s a lot of fun to learn to ride those fancy machines. There are different tours you can take but the History of Houston is a popular one. Learn about the history of the city while riding on a Segway. http://segwaytoursofhouston.com/
- Texas Air Adventures is another great company that shows you the best parts of the city, just with a different perspective. Imagine soaring above the city line and tall buildings while riding in a hot air balloon. Tour guides take you around and show you the best parts of the city from the peaceful quite above all the noise. Visit their website for pricing and trip ideas. http://www.texasaa.com/
- Travel more; spend less- Money saving tips. Yes, you can travel and still save money. There are plenty of ways to save on the road. Here are a few tips:
- Download the Gas Buddy app. Available for all smartphones, the gas buddy app compares gas prices at over thousands of gas stations along your travel route so you can fill up for less.
- Join an RV club to get discounts and RV parks. The Good Sam club offers RVers hundreds of dollars in savings at different RV parks and campgrounds across the country.
- Cook more of your own meals. Eating out on the road can add up in cost. If you visit a superstore and stock up on essentials before you set out on the road.
- Boondock on occasion. Camping sans hookups every once in a while saves on energy costs allowing you to go longer with what you have. Plus it’s fun to “rough it” for a change.
- Purchase the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass. For just $80 you get to visit all the national parks and monuments in the United States for free! It’s a huge savings if you plan to visit a lot of these attractions on your travels. https://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html
- Try New Adventures- if you RV often, sometimes it can be hard to come up with new ideas of places to go and things to do. This year, challenge yourself to try something you may not have ever thought you would do. Houston is full of adventure when you look in the right places.
- Tackle the 26 mile paddling trail- if you like to kayak, canoe, paddle board, etc then this is a great activity to try. The 26 mile padding trail in Houston starts near Highway 6 and ends in Allens landing Park. Because the trail is so long, it’s not recommended to travel the whole thing in one day. Most adventurers make anywhere from 1.5hrs-4hrs trips per day, and camp overnight before they set out the next day. The river winds through the best parts of the city so you get to experience a little of city living and outdoor life in Houston. https://www.naturefind.com/places/buffalo-bayou-paddling-trail/
- Soar like a bird!- The Greater Houston Soaring Association is a newer company that offers a once in a lifetime experience. Imagine soaring through the air like a bird in a sailplane, 5000 ft above the city. Sailplanes offer motorless flight over the open parts of Houston. The sailplanes are piloted by instructors but you can learn to fly one by yourself. After 35-45 instructor lead flights, you can eventually fly solo. Prices vary depending on how long you want to fly. Visit their website for more details. http://www.houstonsoaring.org/
Cliff Jones RV
No matter what your RV new year resolutions are, make Cliff Jones RV part of those. We have everything you need to purchase, stock, and repair your RV. Check out our website to view our newest inventory of RV’s, check out our parts and accessories department, or schedule a service with our certified RV technicians.